About Me

My photo
I am a Dad to two beautiful girls and a husband to a very gorgeous wife. I am very proud of my family and the way they give me so much support. I guess I do not need to win the lottery, I have already won.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tennessee’s largest Guard unit to deploy

This is the Unit that I belong too.


The Associated PressPosted : Monday Jul 13, 2009 18:26:52 EDT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee’s largest National Guard unit, the 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment, has been ordered to mobilize for an upcoming deployment.
The specific date and location of the deployment were not announced Monday, but Tennessee National Guard officials have said the unit won’t deploy until the 2010 fiscal year, which starts in October.
The unit has been on alert for a possible deployment since last year when the military said the Knoxville-based unit was one of four National Guard units that could deploy to Iraq.
Last month, the military completed a withdrawal of combat forces from Iraqi cities to outlying bases while more troops have been sent to Afghanistan.
“The world situation is constantly changing after seven years of deployments, and the current situation will determine how and where the regiment is utilized as part of the Global War on Terror,” said Brig. Gen. Max Haston.
The commander of the regiment, Col. Jeffrey Holmes, said the units’ soldiers have been training collectively and individually for the past six months in anticipation of the deployment.
“Our soldiers and families are prepared, and we’re ready to get it started,” he said.
The regiment comprises more than 3,000 soldiers from across the state. The regiment last deployed in June 2004 to train Iraqi security forces and assisted with provincial elections.
“We began this process three years ago and it will be gratifying to have the opportunity to finish the job,” Holmes said.
The regiment will go to Camp Shelby, Miss., for training before deploying.

11 comments:

coffeypot said...

Good and bad news, CS. Good that you will have the opportunity to finish the job (we hope,) and bad for the family.

Regardless, I am proud of you and your guys and y'all will be in my prayers and thoughts.

Be brave, be smart and kick ass.

Hope said...

When the time approaches, let me know if there is anything I can do to get those of your brothers and sisters in arms regular mail and packages. IT would be good to have things waiting for them when their boots hit the ground.

Ps. found you via Coffeypot...

Hope

Tami said...

Please keep us posted and let us know where we can send care packages.
Will be thinking of you and your battle buddies and families.

God Bless;
aam

coffeypot said...

CS, bellieve me, when you and your guys go, Hope is a person you want helping you from home. She is tireless and dedicated to the guys in uniform.

AirmanMom said...

Godspeed!
~AM

Citizen Soldier said...

Thanks for all the support.

CI-Roller Dude said...

Maybe the deployment will be some place nice like Hawaii or Kosovo???
If it's Iraq or Asscrackastan, here's some advice:
1.) Trust nobody but your fellow soldiers
2.) Anybody worth shooting once, should be shot twice (the NATO 5.56 or 9mm is not effective with one shot)
3.) If something can go wrong, it will-- always have a back up plan.
4.) Never trust S-2 briefings or anything from a poge who never leaves the camp.
5.) You can win the hearts and minds of people who have neither.
Let me know if you need more help.

Citizen Soldier said...

Thanks Roller Dude I will get in touch if I need more help.

CI-Roller Dude said...

Oh yeah, and watch them damn yankees. (just kidding)
But if you need any "info" let me know and I can reach out...

Ky Woman said...

Being a neighbor from the state right above y'all, I join in with Hope and offer to do what I can to keep all y'all busy with mail call....

Till you actually have to leave, enjoy the littlest things with your family and stock up on all the hugs and kisses you can!

We'll be rootin for y'all back here at home.

ABNPOPPA said...

I'm on board with Hope. When the time comes keep us posted. CI Roller Dude has some interesting but I am certain helpful hints. Just trust your training and your instincts. Until them love the ones you are with.

Pops

Blog Archive