About Me

My Photo
I am a Dad to two beautiful girls and a husband to a very gorgeous wife. I am very proud of my family and the way they give me so much support. I guess I do not need to win the lottery, I have already won.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

ANOTHER DAY CLOSER TO PARADICE.

It is so funny how you look forward to getting to where you are going and when you get there you start looking forward to leaving. We are getting ready to leave here and I cannot share the date yet but it is soon. Our mission here was cut short because of the drawdown of troops in Iraq. I am not saying I mind and I will be glad to get out of here. I have enjoyed it somewhat. I have enjoyed the friendships that I have made. I guess when you only see eachother a weekend a month it is hard to get to know people. When you are with them 24/7 you get to know more than you want too. There are some people here you think would be cool and then you hang around them and they are compltete idiots. I had a great opportunity to hang out with some officers on my missions. The only thing I can say is they were great. Sometimes when you see an officer they have this you are below me attitude. Not the ones I met and had to work for. I worked for generals, colonel's, major's, lt colonel's and even some captains. I will tell you this they were the greatest people to be around.

Well now that we are winding down, you don't realize all the stuff you accumulated over the months. Most of it is stuff people sent you and you just hung on to it. I have already mailed home 2 big black boxes of stuff. Most of it was things they made us pack and we did not use at all. Let me give you a for instance, they had us bring an extreme cold weather suit, poly pro tops and bottoms and a lot of snibble gear that we did not need or use. I guess they were taking precautions. You never know if it gets cold here. Well enough on that.

I am not going to gripe on this one because I am thankful for this opportunity to serve my country and be here. I always said when people asked me why are you going to Iraq? My answer would be so someone else can come home. Now there will be someone coming to replace me and I can go home. Well like I said I am very thankful. Soon I will be home and get back to my wife and girls.

3 comments:

Coffeypot said...

Good post CS. Even in a war zone (not so much there anymore) there are mixed feelings about leaving - until you get the picture of you wife and girls in you mind's eye. Then teleporting seem preferable.

ABNPOPPA said...

Citizen Soldier,

So good to see you back in the blog-o-sphere! I hope this finds you well and safe during your deployment. We have missed your posts. God Bless you and be safe.

Pops

CI-Roller Dude said...

In both Bosnia and Iraq, I left my MOPP suit and mask in the bottom of my last duffle bag....that never ever once left my room in either place.
We took so much extra crap with us...but I have these really warm black cold weather boots with Gortex liners they gave us for Bosnia...I never have any need for them in California. I had 4 sets of DCUs left over from Iraq, no need for them either.

Share it

Blog Archive