About Me

My photo
I am a Dad to two beautiful girls and a husband to a very gorgeous wife. I am very proud of my family and the way they give me so much support. I guess I do not need to win the lottery, I have already won.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

FOR HIS NAMES SAKE.

Humility is such an elusive virtue. Once you think you have it, you don't, or you wouldn't think you did. You've heard the story of the boy who received the "Most Humble" badge and had it taken away because he wore it. Oh the things God does to keep us humble and He does it for our own good. I asked a question to my class and I am asking it to you. When was the last time you were humbled?

Arrogance is one piece of luggage that God hates. He doesn't dislike arrogance. He does not disapprove of arrogance. He's not unfavorably disposed toward arrogance. God hates arrogance. I am going to challenge you and make you get into your bible. So here is a few scripture versus on arrogance.
Prov 8:13, Prov 16:5, Phil 2:3, 1 Sam 2:3. Have you ever wondered why churches are powerful in one generation but empty the next? Perhaps the answer is found in Proverbs 15:25 " The Lord will tear down the house of the proud.

God hates arrogance. He hates it because we haven't done anything to be arrogant about. The message of the 23rd Psalm is that we have nothing to be proud about either. We have rest, salvation, blessing, and a home in heaven and we did nothing to earn any of it. Who did? Who did the work? The answer threads through the psalm like a silk thread through pearls.
"He makes me........."
"He leads me..........."
"He restores my soul......"
"You are with me......."
"Your rod and Your staff.......comfort me...."
"You prepare a a table....."
"You anoint my head........"
The Shepherd leads his sheep, not for our names sake but for His names sake. Why does God have anything to do with us? For his names sake. No other name on the marquee. No other name up in lights. No other name on the front page. This is all done for his names sake.

With the same intensity that he hates arrogance, God loves humility. Again I am going to have you use your bibles and look up a few verses on humility. Matt 11:29, Psalm 138:6, Isa 57:15, Prov 15:33, Prov 11:2.
God loves humility. Could that be the reason he offers so many tips on cultivating it. Here are a few.
1. Assess yourself honestly. Romans 12:3
2. Don't take success too seriously. Deut 8:13-14
3. Celebrate the significance of others. Phil 2:3
4. Don't demand your own parking place. Luke 14:10
5. Never announce your success before it occurs. 1 Kings 20:11
6. Speak humbly. 1 Sam 2:3
7. Live at the foot of the cross. Gal 6:14

Do you feel a need for affirmation? Does your self esteem need attention? You don't need to drop names or show off. You need only pause at the base of thecross and be reminded of this: The maker of the stars would rather dier for you than live without you. And that is a fact. So if you need to brag, brag on that. 

This was taken from Max Lucado's book Traveling Light.
I hope you have a great and blessed day.

2 comments:

Coffeypot said...

I like the name change, more appropriate for you.

mcca17 said...

Good, very good, thank you

Blog Archive