About Me

My photo
I am a Dad to two beautiful girls and a husband to a very gorgeous wife. I am very proud of my family and the way they give me so much support. I guess I do not need to win the lottery, I have already won.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

YOU ARE WITH ME

Did you know that David was "Lonely." He had 7 other brothers and he was still lonely. Lonliness is one of the burdens we talked about today in Sunday School. David was the youngest in the family and I guess you can say he was the runt of the family. While Samual was looking at his other brothers he was out watching the sheep. He was not even thought of until Samual said is this all your sons. That is when Jesse remembered that David was still out in the field. Can you imagine having a family meeting called and you were not even thought of?

David was no stranger to lonlines. You aren't either. By now you've learned that you don't have to be alone to feel lonely. Two thousand years ago 250 million people populated the earth. Now there are more than 5 billion. If lonliness could be cured by the presence of people, then surely there would be less lonliness today. But lonliness lingers. A person can be surrounded by a church and still be lonely. Lonliness is not the absense of faces. It is the absense of intimacy. Lonliness doesn't come from being alone; it comes from feeling alone. Feeling as if you are facing death alone, facing disease alone, facing the future alone.

Whether it strikes you in your bed at night or on your drive to the hospital, in the silence of an empty house or the noise of a a crowded bar, lonliness is when you think, I feel so alone. Does anyone care. We feel sometimes that lonliness is a curse and we should turn from it. Rather than turn from lonliness, what if we turned toward it? Could it be that lonliness is not a curse but a gift? A gift from God. I woner if lonliness is God's way of getting our attention. Now use your imagination.

Suppose you were borrowing someone's car and you were driving down the road. You noticed the radio does not work and so you start talking to yourself. You can only talk to yourself for so long and then the silence starts to get very loud. You noticed he had some CD's and so you start looking for music, your music(country) and all he has is his music(classical). You are not into classical music and you are tired of talking to yourself so you give it a try. It is not to long and you start getting into the music and you are tapping your finger on the steering wheel and you are starting to hum to the music. You think to your self "Hey this isn't so bad."

Now let me ask you. Would you have made the discovery on your own? No. What led to it? What caused you to hear the music you'd never heard before? Simple. You had no other choice, no other option. You took a chance on a song you'd never heard. Oh, how God wants you to hear his music. He has a rhythm that will race your heart and lyrics that will stir your tears. You want to journey to the stars? He can take you there. You want to lie down in peace? His music can soothe your soul. But first, he's got to get rid of that other stuff in our lives. One by one God removes the things in our lives and it all comes down to just you and God. He becomes our only option and what a great option it is.

If He must silence every voice, he will. He wants you to hear His music. He wants you to discover what David discovered and th be able to say what David said. " You are with me." The Lord is with me. The Creator is with me. Yahweh is with me. Moses proclamed it: For what great nation has a god as near to them as the Lord our God is near to us whenever we call on him. Deut 4:7.

Paul announced it: “His purpose was for the nations to seek after God and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him—though he is not far from any one of us. Acts 17:27. And David discovered it: "You are with me."

Somewhere in the pasture, wilderness, or palace, David discovered that God meant business when he said:
What’s more, I am with you, and I will protect you wherever you go. One day I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have finished giving you everything I have promised you.” Gen 28:15.
The Lord will not reject his people; he will not abandon his special possession. Psalm 94:14.
So be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you.” Deut 31:6.

The discovery of David is indeed the message of Scripture--The Lord is with us. And since the Lord is near, everything is different. EVERYTHING! You may be facing unemployment but you will not be facing it alone. You may be facing marital struggles but you will not be facing them alone. You may be facing debt but you will not be facing it alone. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid. You are with me. Your shepherd's rod and staff comfort me. Psalm 23:4. Find that verse in your Bible and underline it for yourself. You are never alone. God is always near and ready to hear our call for him.

Lonliness. Could it be one of God's finest gifts? If a season of solitude is his way to teach you to hear his song, don't you think it's worth it.



This was taken from Max Lucado's book traveling light.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Thank you for this post and for your words on my blog.

Blog Archive